thread summary: On Cerebro, Telepathy, yokes and whites

Greg Smith (gregmsmi) gregmsmi at cisco.com
Fri Jun 13 08:49:22 EDT 2008

Hi Poly et al,

Thanks for the summary and documentation.

After the last round on this subject
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2008-May/thread.html#13898

I exchanged some e-mails with a teacher in Uruguay to get a better sense
of exactly how they want to use the XO in class to collaborate. See:
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/olpc-sur/2008-May/000118.html

Here is the use case I got out of that exchange:
- The class has 10 - 25 kids in the second grade each with an XO. There
are 100 - 200 Xos in the school. Each class can join a different channel
and time share (TDM :-)to keep the number of Xos per channel to a
minimum.
- One class (10 - 25) connects its Xos to the mesh (they do it by
clicking the round mesh icon but they will do whatever works)
- There is a wireless access point in the school and they see several
other wireless Aps so there is some RF background.
- One kid opens write (also want to use paint) sets it to share and
starts writing.
- In the neighborhood view the other students see the write icon and
join the activity by clicking on it.
- All the children start to write text and add pictures at more or less
the same time
- Each kid wants to save the file in their own journal at any time (this
is where it crashed when they tried it with write)
- After saving to the journal they want to see the shared document
again. Its OK to require them to leave the share to open their own local
copy as long as it doesn't "crash" if they do it out of order (what is
supposed to happen if you are sharing a document then open a new one
too?)

Is that a well defined use case that you can turn in to an end to end
test case? If not, what additional information or details do you need?

My impression is that the teachers don't really care about the
technology as long as they can do what is described above. I don't know
exactly what software they have on their school servers (e.g. not sure
about jabber). If we can tell them what software, configuration and
steps they need to take in order to run a class as described that would
be a very good start.

I understand there is a write bug which is probably responsible for
their issue. You can substitute paint or another activity if it helps
isolate the collaboration aspects from the activity aspects.

This can be something we test for a future release if its not something
that is possible now. So please include build #s and time frames in any
response. I wont say anything to the teacher about what is possible
until I see a very solid reproduction of their environment and use case.
I'll keep digging up real use cases and sharing them so let me know what
kind of info you need to turn them in to test cases.

No reference to Cerebro, telepathy etc, but I hope that helps. Comments
and questions welcome.

Thanks,

Greg S

Message: 3