Switching to Kreyol ?

Bastien bzg at altern.org
Thu Jun 12 20:52:36 EDT 2008

Bernie Innocenti <bernie at laptop.org> writes:

> Bastien wrote:
>> One quick question: how to switch a laptop to kreyol language?
>>
>> I was able to switch to french by just using fr_FR.UTF-8 in
>> /home/olpc/.i18n but what is the equivalent for Kreyol?
>> I tried kr_KR.UTF-8 and ht_HT.UTF-8 but it failed.
>
> This will give the list of all supported values for $LANG:
>
>  locale -a
>
> This will add long names:
>
>  locale -a -v
>
> The language "Kreyol" does not even seem to be supported in
> glibc 2.8!

Mhh..  I can't seem to find a good reference on this.
I will try to ask to some haitian developers.

> Does it have alternate names?  Is it a dialect of
> another language?

Well, no, Kreyol is a language on its own.  It's derived from many
language (among them are french, english, spanish) and there are
actually several kreyol variants (Haïti, Jamaïc, etc...)

The Pootle has a single Kreyol instance, that's why I expected
someone had already tested it on a XO.

Thanks anyway for the pointers, I will keep you posted on this.

--
Bastien