[Localization] Appel à traduction Créole Haï tien

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 17:01:35 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 9:54 PM, Bastien <bzg at altern.org> wrote:

> Hi Chris and all,
>
> "Chris Leonard" <cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I probably have little to contribute to the Kreyol effort itself, so
> > maybe I don't get a vote, but I would like to encourage you to try to
> > work within laptop.org infrastructure (mailing lists, wiki, etc.) as
> > opposed to establish a list and archives off-OLPC.
>
> You get a vote!  :)
>
> But unless there is a pressing threat of massive polical flame, I think
> I'll go for the separate mailing list. As long as it stays open I don't
> really see any problem.
>
> I named this list straightforward: kreyol at lists.olpchaiti.org - because
> it's more about promoting kreyol as an educational language rather than
> make sure the Pootle is complete.  XOs will be a nice way to promote
> kreyol, and translating stuff (interface & material) on the XO is key,
> but the bilinguism issue goes beyong that...  I thought putting this
> list directly in the hands of the haitian team is just the right way.
>
> Of course, I'm open to discussion on this.  I'm travelling back to
> France all the WE so please let me know in the meanwhile.

Bastien,

There will be no flames coming from me,  but I would like to continue the
conversation (acknowledging that you've made your choice) because I believe
that it is important for OLPC to learn to be good at hosting small
communities-of-shared-interest (whether it is Kreyol or other language
community or a community based around some other theme like a topic, e.g.
math or pedagological theory, etc.).  There is no question that it is
ultimately a matter of choice to be made by the individual communities.

I'm very sympathetic to the desire for (and aware of the potential benefits
of) local control.  Much of what OLPC needs to achieve can only
be accomplished with high levels of local ownership (in every sense), but I
also think it is important over the long run for OLPC to be able to earn the
trust to provide start-up hosting of such infrastructure on behalf of the
community (at least at early phases) so that the potential benefits of
centralized shared resources for multiple communities may be realized. I
spoke out in favor of the keeping the Kreyol discussion on
laptop.orginfrastructure because I believe that similar communities
will face similar
challenges.  Some of those challenges will be based on coining new terms in
a language that is perhaps not a primary language for technology
development, the discussion of that topic alone will certainly be reproduced
many times in many languages.
 <http://www.olpchaiti.org/interne/images.php>
You say "As long as it stays open I don't really see any problem".
Unfortunately, when I went to this link
http://lists.olpchaiti.org/listinfo.cgi  I saw that the archives were only
open to subscribers.  The reality is that I am subscribed to too many lists
as it is and I will probably not be subscribing to still more when they are
not focused on my own area of interest, and so it is unlikely that I would
have the opportunity to make any contribution at all (of any sort).  I hope
that someone will keep lines of communication back to the wiki and
laptop.org lists open.  It has been sometime since there were any edits on
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Haiti

It would be nice if there were (for instance) some linking of the pictures
here:
http://www.olpchaiti.org/interne/images.php