[Server-devel] Pungi minimal installer, comps.xml trick

Jeff jeff at wildcoast.com
Wed Aug 27 11:32:59 EDT 2008

On 27 Aug 2008, at 4:09 PM, Jerry Vonau wrote:

> Jeff wrote:

>>> Don't worry about the CD :-)
>>
>> But I do. I'm worried that you may be applying first world
>> standards and
>> expect the deployment sites to run off and download, oh for example,
>> Java, GCC, and a bunch of other essential tools, whereas the install
>> distro should include them as a matter of course.
>>
> On what is more or less a pre-configured setup? Why, what is missing
> from the stock build?

I don't know yet. I'm busy downloading the ISO on an Edge connection.
6h45 remaining, and about half my cap : (

My knee-jerk was why the install image should be restricted to a
single CD.

> Compiling should never be done on a server IMHO that is what your
> workstation is for. If the server was cracked, I'm not going to
> give it
> more tools to do more damage.

Fair point.

>> So I'm asking again: why a single CD? This isn't Ubuntu shipping
>> off a
>> million copies of the latest distro for free, so why the self-imposed
>> minimalist constraint?
>>

> Once the rpm is cleaned up I can see it becoming part of fedora much
> like what LTSP has done. This is a "spin" of fedora, not a distro,
> your
> free to install what you like, but that is your choice, not
> everybody's.

That makes sense, thanks. but unless I misunderstand, there are 2
things going on here:

1. a live/install image with FC7 and OLPC/XS packages preselected
2. separate OLPC/XS rpm packages which will be downloadable from
Fedora or OLPC repositories

I still don't see the point of being restricted to CD when that means
throwing out packages which may (or may not) be useful on school
servers in remote areas.

OTOH access to package repositories could be a regionalized function
along with the provision of library material, I guess.

Sorry if I'm OT: my main interest is content and use case scenarios
for XS-XO deployments which can also be implemented for the current
rollout of NetDay servers in SA. Kind of a dual purpose mission.
Can't seem to find much on the wiki about the XS Library, though.
(Pointers will be much appreciated.)

Anyway. I hope I can help out here somewhere, somehow.

--
Jeff Brown

Cell: 074-101 5170 / Fax: 086-532 3508

Masimanyane Mussel Rehabilitation and
Masande Nursery ~ Nutritional Projects
C O F F E E B A Y ~ W I L D C O A S T

++

Website: www.wildcoast.com
Blog: www.wildcoast.com/jeff

8< --
Do not believe in miracles -- rely on them.