[Server-devel] Pungi minimal installer, comps.xml trick

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Wed Aug 27 10:09:23 EDT 2008

Jeff wrote:
> On 27 Aug 2008, at 10:21 AM, Martin Langhoff wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 7:52 PM, Jeff <jeff at wildcoast.com> wrote:
>>> Why? What's wrong with writing the image to a DVD?
>>
>> Don't worry about the CD :-)
>
> But I do. I'm worried that you may be applying first world standards and
> expect the deployment sites to run off and download, oh for example,
> Java, GCC, and a bunch of other essential tools, whereas the install
> distro should include them as a matter of course.

On what is more or less a pre-configured setup? Why, what is missing
from the stock build?

Compiling should never be done on a server IMHO that is what your
workstation is for. If the server was cracked, I'm not going to give it
more tools to do more damage.

> So I'm asking again: why a single CD? This isn't Ubuntu shipping off a
> million copies of the latest distro for free, so why the self-imposed
> minimalist constraint?

Once the rpm is cleaned up I can see it becoming part of fedora much
like what LTSP has done. This is a "spin" of fedora, not a distro, your
free to install what you like, but that is your choice, not everybody's.
Next question how many sites have "had to" install stuff that is not
part of the stock XS build excluding updates?

Jerry