[Server-devel] Pungi minimal installer, comps.xml trick

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Wed Aug 27 17:18:00 EDT 2008

Jeff wrote:
> On 27 Aug 2008, at 4:09 PM, Jerry Vonau wrote:
>
>> Jeff wrote:

>>> But I do. I'm worried that you may be applying first world standards and
>>> expect the deployment sites to run off and download, oh for example,
>>> Java, GCC, and a bunch of other essential tools, whereas the install
>>> distro should include them as a matter of course.
>>>
>> On what is more or less a pre-configured setup? Why, what is missing
>> from the stock build?
>
> I don't know yet. I'm busy downloading the ISO on an Edge connection.
> 6h45 remaining, and about half my cap : (
>
> My knee-jerk was why the install image should be restricted to a single CD.

Bandwidth maybe? ~500meg to get up and running. You want to add on
packages it's on your bill only...

>> Compiling should never be done on a server IMHO that is what your
>> workstation is for. If the server was cracked, I'm not going to give it
>> more tools to do more damage.
>
> Fair point.
>
>>> So I'm asking again: why a single CD? This isn't Ubuntu shipping off a
>>> million copies of the latest distro for free, so why the self-imposed
>>> minimalist constraint?
>>>

>> Once the rpm is cleaned up I can see it becoming part of fedora much
>> like what LTSP has done. This is a "spin" of fedora, not a distro, your
>> free to install what you like, but that is your choice, not everybody's.
>
> That makes sense, thanks. but unless I misunderstand, there are 2 things
> going on here:
>
> 1. a live/install image with FC7 and OLPC/XS packages preselected
> 2. separate OLPC/XS rpm packages which will be downloadable from Fedora
> or OLPC repositories

Well yes, the xs-rpms form the bases of the livecd. The livecd was
chosen for the initial roll-out. Now comes the work of upgrading to F9,
and livecd don't do upgrades on existing installs. The upgrade/install
cd that is coming will have what is needed to upgrade a stock xs install
or do a fresh one.

If you already have fedora install disks, you could have a kickstart
file with the XS repo enabled, list xs-config and friends rpms to be
installed, even on a dvd/cd based install, downloading just the XS stuff
from the net.

> I still don't see the point of being restricted to CD when that means
> throwing out packages which may (or may not) be useful on school servers
> in remote areas.

Your not restricted, you can install what you want from a fedora repo,
install disk, or your own repo, just later. If you think something
should be included by default speak up, it's an open forum.

> OTOH access to package repositories could be a regionalized function
> along with the provision of library material, I guess.

Sure, just make it into an rpm, different content, different rpm.
Install what you like/need.

> Sorry if I'm OT: my main interest is content and use case scenarios for
> XS-XO deployments which can also be implemented for the current rollout
> of NetDay servers in SA. Kind of a dual purpose mission. Can't seem to
> find much on the wiki about the XS Library, though. (Pointers will be
> much appreciated.)

Sorry, can't help there..

> Anyway. I hope I can help out here somewhere, somehow.

Jerry