[Server-devel] Pungi minimal installer, comps.xml trick

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 18:56:38 EDT 2008

2008/8/28 Jeff <jeff at wildcoast.com>:
> But I do. I'm worried that you may be applying first world standards

Don't let knee-jerk reactions dominate :-)

I am on a very slow int'l connection. I expect most pilot site and
several XS volunteers  to be on similarly slow int'l connections.
Small images are a feature.

And whoever wants a special set of packages (Java toolchain, GCC,
Latex, Gnome, etc) they have yum and the related yum tools that let
you build a partial local repo.

And anyone who wants the whole hog, pair it up with the Fedora DVD as
a secondary local repo.

The main deployment sites will probably install hundreds if not
thousads of XSs from USB key - at least the bootstrap. Or they'll use
a network. Sizes matter a lot there too.

> I don't know yet. I'm busy downloading the ISO on an Edge connection. 6h45
> remaining, and about half my cap : (

Well - if I spun a full Fedora DVD you'd be screwed! :-)

> why the self-imposed
> minimalist constraint?

Give yourself time to hang out on this list and on devel at . Perhaps
read the School server pages on the wiki.

> 1. a live/install image with FC7 and OLPC/XS packages preselected

Which will be replaced with a F9 installer CD that I'm trying to make
as lean as possible.

> 2. separate OLPC/XS rpm packages which will be downloadable from Fedora or
> OLPC repositories

That too. Note that if you have a local Fedora DVD, mount it and set
it as a local repo, and any packages available there will be used (if
current).

> OTOH access to package repositories could be a regionalized function along
> with the provision of library material, I guess.

Bingo! Local materials will not be on the images I distribute, but on
regional repositories.

> Sorry if I'm OT: my main interest is content and use case scenarios for
> XS-XO deployments which can also be implemented for the current rollout of
> NetDay servers in SA. Kind of a dual purpose mission. Can't seem to find
> much on the wiki about the XS Library, though. (Pointers will be much
> appreciated.)

XS Library is not there yet. Will probably be based on an extension of
moodle, or on tools we can integrate with the upcoming repository API
of moodle. See the irc logs of the latest XS meeting (in the wiki)
where Bryan asked a whole lot of questions about it.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com