[Localization] Gtranslator on the xo

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 14:37:17 EDT 2009

Sebastian,

Although it would certainly take some additional administrative
coordination, I've always wondered whether it might make sense to add a few
steps to an off-line translation workflow for indigineous South American
languages (Quechua, Aymara, etc.) where the original strings are first
rendered in Spanish and later switched back to English.  The reason being
that there may be more people for whom Spanish-to-Quechua translation is
feasible than English-to-Quechua (probably being discussed in Spanish).

Using the Translation Toolkit poswap function, first take the completed
lang-es PO files and swap the msgid into Spanish, perform the Quechua
localization using an off-line tool, and then (before submission and
commitment to Pootle) swap the msgids back into English to create a properly
formatted PO file.

http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/toolkit/poswap

I have not played around with this part of the Translate Toolkit, but it
certainly looks promising.  The fact tah tour Spanish Localization is very
near completion also helps a great deal.  Just a thought.

cjl