[Localization] Gtranslator on the xo

s.boutayeb at free.fr s.boutayeb at free.fr
Wed Sep 23 14:59:45 EDT 2009

Hi Chris,

I wrote a small description (sort of) of the workflow here:

http://olpc-france.org/blog/2009/08/traduire-sugar-le-xo/

The examples show that:
- the use of an offline tool is feasible
- the XO can be uses as an localization platform, especially where no other PC
is available
- the use of 3 languages is feasible too

As for creating a new language pair (that is aymara>spanish or quechua>spanish),
it's possible using po2swap:

Let's see what "poswap --help" says:

Usage: poswap [--version] [-h|--help] [--manpage] [--progress PROGRESS]
[--errorlevel ERRORLEVEL] [-i|--input] INPUT [-x|--exclude EXCLUDE]
[-o|--output] OUTPUT [-t|--template TEMPLATE]

Builds a new translation file with the target of the input language as  source
language.  Ensure that the two po files correspond 100% to the same pot file
before using this.  To translate Kurdish (ku) through French::     po2swap -i
fr/ -t ku -o fr-ku  To convert the fr-ku files back to en-ku::     po2swap
--reverse -i fr/ -t fr-ku -o en-ku  See:
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/toolkit/poswap for further examples and
usage instructions
Hope this helps

Saludos/Best regards