[Localization] Spanish wiki page to lang-xx

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Mon May 12 12:12:20 EDT 2008

Ed's bug report has been confirmed on FF3, but it does not occur with FF2.
Thanks to mchua for testing on FF2/Ubuntu and FF3/Ubuntu, I can also add
that it does not occur on IE7/Vista.

Furthermore, mchua confirms that commenting out arabic causes the problem to
go away in FF3.

In my opinion, this pretty much narrows this down to an issue with FF3
trying to do something clever on the span mouseover when it sees the R-to-L
script of Arabic as I had speculated earlier.  The easy work-around is to
leave R-to-L scripts out at this point in time, until more clarity can be
gained on whether this gets fixed in FF3.  Perhaps creating a second
template (or a second <span class> </span> statement on the same template)
would be suitable near-term workarounds.

Overall, my opinion is that the occurence of this issue only for FF3
beta-testers makes this something of a non-issue at this point in time.  It
might be nice for someone to communicate this back to mozilla community, but
I'm going to decline to carry that ball.  Ed, you're the FF3 beta-tester,
maybe you might do so.

I'd love to turn this wiki template idea over to someone who has good wiki
template-fu.  For instance, I don't know if this can be reduced to a single
template (with variable start lang) or if practically it needs to be
expanded into a suite of templates with fixed start langs.

If there is anyone else out there that thinks the idea of end-users (testers
at schools) being able to post to the wiki in their own language and get
useful info back to developers (mostly lang-en) with minimal language
barriers, please step up and chip in.  I know machine translation is
imperfect, but then again so are most messages to the "helpdesk" from
end-users.  I really think this would be a useful addition to overcoming
l10n barriers to feedback from deployments, as well as minimizing the l10n
barriers to local users harvesting information off of the mostly lang-en
wiki pages.  Human page translation efforts on wiki can be focused on truly
"important" pages and most of the rest can be made reasonably comprehensible
across language barriers by clicking a single link for a "good enough"
Google translation.

Thanks to morukai and mchua for testing.