[Localization] Kreyòl Localization

Marvin Demuth marvindemuth at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 19 17:28:32 EDT 2008

At 12:33 PM 6/19/2008, Edward Cherlin wrote:

>This is the reason for the Terminology section
>of Pootle, for example. We encourage localizers
>to do the Terminology section first, and then to
>use that terminology consistently everywhere else.

Jude, I suggest that you look again at the 106
strings in the terminology section that remain to
be translated, do what you can with them, and
then let's let the list participants help with the balance.

As others has said today, every translator faces
this same problem, especially in those languages
that do not have technical publications.  Ed's
example of the lack of a word for computer in the
Kinyarwanda language is a case in point.  We may
have to coin some Kreyòl words.

"A journey begins with a single step." -- I can
visualize that Samy can send the remaining words
to the 43 professional programmers on his
list.  Those of us who do not know Kreyòl might
learn some words.  This might also help with other languages.

Marvin Demuth