[Localization] Appel à traduction Créole Haï tien

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 13:33:14 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 9:57 AM,  <s.boutayeb at free.fr> wrote:
> Hi Jude and Marvin,
>
> Thank you for your mail.
>
> Selon Marvin Demuth <marvindemuth at sbcglobal.net>:
>
>> Samy, I am located in Arkansas, USA and Jude Augusma is in Iowa, USA.

I am in Silicon Valley, California.

>> Jude is from Pignon, Haiti.  To date, he has brought the Créole Haï tien
>> translation (35%) to the point that it is today.  He has reached the point
>> that the meaning of the strings is interfering with the translation.  I feel
>> sure that this point is reached many times by translators, trying to
>> translate
>> technical terms in one language, to another language.  I can appreciate
>> his concerns.  I can visualize that other translators share the concerns.  He
>> has had limited success in using the French translation.
>>
>> Jude wants to continue the translations, as he wants to help Haiti.  He needs
>> technical help with the meaning of technical terminology with strings.

I'm sure that this is a problem for many languages. I know that in
Rwanda the first problem for localizing Linux was to create a word for
"computer" in the Kinyarwanda language.

Please share your questions on the Localization list. We have
thousands of computer experts in our community willing to assist. I
have been learning about, programming, and writing about computers and
communication technology for more than 30 years. Paul Berry, whom I am
copying on this message, is a high-level expert with a long love of
Kreyól who has agreed to help.
http://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=81999

"I'm cheerfully retired, nostalgically renewing ancient connections,
pursuing in dilatory fashion old interests in Creole, poetry, and
travel (mostly in France) --and totally devoid of business contacts."

When we find that certain problems are common to most or all
translation/localization efforts, we can create a system to deal with
them for everyone. This is the reason for the Terminology section of
Pootle, for example. We encourage localizers to do the Terminology
section first, and then to use that terminology consistently
everywhere else.

> I suggest to you that you share your questions on this list. I am quite sure
> that the problems do affect other language teams as well. We would be glad to
> examine with you the terminological issues and find together a solution. Your
> questions will help us all with no doubt.
>
>> I am wondering if you have received any volunteers from your appeal to the
>> 43 translators.  If so, perhaps some system could
>> be worked out for the translators
>> to work with Jude.
>>
> As a matter of fact, I directed the translators to Sayamindu Dasgupta as the
> Pootle administrator. I think they could contact Edward Cherlin, as the
> cordinator for the haitian créole translation effort.
>
> So far, since only one translator contacted me directly, I am not sure if my
> appeal had positive effects or not.
>
> Best regards
>
> Samy
>
>> Marvin Demuth
>>
>> At 02:21 AM 6/7/2008, you wrote:
>>
>> >Bonjour/Hi,
>> >
>> >I just sent following message to 43 profesional
>> >translators into Haitian Creole.
>> >
>> >J'ai envoyé le message ci-après à 43 collègues traducteurs professionnels EN
>> >
>> >Créole Haïtien.
>> >
>> >Bien cordialement
>> >Bests
>> >
>> >Samy