[Localization] [Appel à traduction Créole Haï tien] Empowering users

Yama Ploskonka yama at netoso.com
Thu Jun 19 15:59:11 EDT 2008

I agree.
I would appreciate y'all's opinion on this:

The way we are planning it for the Aymara event for Bolivia in October
involves more people with no technology background BUT with outstanding
oneness with the culture and language.

Numbers would be about 6 dedicated Aymarists, ideally innocent as to
computers, 3-5 bilingual techies, convinced beforehand they should not
suggest or intrude, present to help things happen and to transcribe what
the Aymarists come with (ideally several of the Aymarists do not even
know how to use a keyboard), and some extra techies for assorted support
needs, one of which would be I.

This because of the many needed neologisms, which need to be metaphors
that hopefully will be more intuitive than adaptations and barbarisms.

It is acknowledged this will provoke sharp disagreements, so a room and
bandages will be provided  to vent those out :-)

Because there is no OLPC deployment anytime in the future for Bolivia,
there is no way to involve teachers at this stage, except in the sense
that some of those higher-level Aymarists likely are teachers also.

I should update the wiki page for the project.

I must apologize, for it is inappropriate in a community effort to
conduct conversations on the side (which I have been doing with my
potential counterparts in Bolivia), and not to report them.

Actually, I should eat my own catfood and reassert with deeds that all
such planning should happen in the open, through wikis or better (?), so
more people become empowered and can participate.  I do not know if I
have any lurkers just ready to pitch in but that do not feel they are
welcome  to make things happen...

Yama