[Localization] Euro contributions Re: More translations needed?

Bastien bzg at altern.org
Tue Jun 17 13:05:22 EDT 2008

Clytie Siddall <clytie at riverland.net.au> writes:

> On 15/06/2008, at 11:51 PM, Yama Ploskonka wrote (in part)
>
>> Localization is going to be a big issue in any case.  I was rather
>> concerned when seeing the IADB numbers how little was earmarked for
>> content for you guys, and that little got reduced even further in the
>> March document.  The only way to bridge this, in my opinion, is to
>> involve the community, and for that to develop a more user friendly UI
>> for localization than Pootle.  I have no solution really.
>
> Pootle is widely used offline for translate-a-thons and other community
> translation tasks. It was initially designed for use by  third-world
> communities. How do you think it needs to change to become  more
> user-friendly?

My only suggestion would be: when entering a translation for a string,
jump to the next non-translated string -- for now it only jumps to the
next string, no matter if it's already translated.

In countries where sending data through the web can be time consuming,
this UI improvement would be great.  Sending data asynchronously with
AJAX (?) may also help.

--
Bastien