[Localization] Euro contributions Re: More translations needed?

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Mon Jun 16 02:30:25 EDT 2008

Hello everyone :)

On 15/06/2008, at 11:51 PM, Yama Ploskonka wrote (in part)

> Localization is going to be a big issue in any case.  I was rather
> concerned when seeing the IADB numbers how little was earmarked for
> content for you guys, and that little got reduced even further in the
> March document.  The only way to bridge this, in my opinion, is to
> involve the community, and for that to develop a more user friendly UI
> for localization than Pootle.  I have no solution really.

Pootle is widely used offline for translate-a-thons and other
community translation tasks. It was initially designed for use by
third-world communities. How do you think it needs to change to become
more user-friendly?

The Pootle devs are keen to improve their interface, so I think
there's no need to invent new tools, but rather to adapt the existing
ones to suit the situation. Other offline programs like Kabel [1],
Pootling [2] or LFE [3] are already pretty easy-to-use.

By the way, as a teacher and community-project officer myself, I think
you need to empower the teachers first. Make sure they understand the
opportunities they have, and how those tools are going to help them
achieve more of their goals.

I have often seen excellent advances in teaching tools either mis-used
or ignored, because teachers don't understand them, or haven't got
time to learn how to use them properly. Let's avoid that trap, by
involving teachers in the planning phases, and making sure they have
enough time and help to get the most out of what we offer.

In some countries, too, we will have to overcome very stilted teaching
methods (rote learning, chalk and talk), so we need to allow time and
effort for awareness-raising and learning very new ideas/practices.
This time and effort always pays off enormously, because you are
opening the door to further independent learning, and teaching people
how to work together.

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team
http://vnoss.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=projects:l10n

[1] http://kbabel.kde.org/
Windows and Linux

[2] http://www.khmeros.info/drupal/?q=en/download/Translation_Editor