[Localization] Euro contributions Re: More translations needed?

Yama Ploskonka yama at netoso.com
Sun Jun 15 10:21:43 EDT 2008

I agree teacher co-participation is vital for something this complex.

However, the whole raison d'être of the project is to develop tools that
help teachers reach where otherwise they can't.   I guess we agree on
all that, the detail being in the "what" we give the teachers and kids
to use.

My concept/idea/wish is that as we develop tools for children and
teachers to write and blog, we also need to help them learn how to write
well.  OLPC so far has none of that, and my personal experience is that
many teachers could find help in that field useful.

I hope these details help see where I am aiming for.  In any case, this
is something that cannot be top priority, but could keep helpers in
Europe happily producing something important and useful, of course
unless there is a greater need they can be effective on.

Localization is going to be a big issue in any case.  I was rather
concerned when seeing the IADB numbers how little was earmarked for
content for you guys, and that little got reduced even further in the
March document.  The only way to bridge this, in my opinion, is to
involve the community, and for that to develop a more user friendly UI
for localization than Pootle.  I have no solution really.

I apologize for this thread.  I usually try to stay very practical, and
my opinions on this one have gone way too far into the realm of dreams
and wishes. You don't need to respond, I guess we can wait on this, but
I am most curious on what you mention about OLPC+Mains à la Pâte, that
sounds like having good potential.  Keep me posted, I'm sure Mike Lee
<curiouslee at gmail.com> will also want to be on the loop regarding this,
he has done several little things to take the XO further.

Yama