[Localization] Euro contributions Re: More translations needed?

Bastien bzg at altern.org
Sat Jun 14 21:50:18 EDT 2008

Hi Yama,

Yama Ploskonka <yama at netoso.com> writes:

> 1.- emphasis in writing skills, rhetoric from the youngest age.

I think the key is to rely on teachers first.

Whatever the french expertise in teaching the skills you're mentionning
above can be, I thing priority should be put on letting the XO interact
with material that the teachers are familiar with, so they can explore
new ways of making use of it with the XO.

Or to put it straight: give time to the local teachers to discover new
ways of doing things, before you ask someone specific what those ways
are - put at this point I guess I misunderstood your point :/

> 2.- teaching of science and technology as an active thing.

FWIW, OLPC and the "Main à la pâte" (Hands on) project plan to meet each
others in the middle of July.  No need to say that I expect *a lot* from
this meeting, both regarding material and ideas for using them.

As a sidenote - there will be a specific translation problem: if « La
main à la pâte » decides it can help OLPC by providing content, how this
content will be translated (e.g. in Kreyol)?  Using something like
Pootle or any .po-related solution looks awkward to me...

If people have ideas, I'd be glad to hear.

> "Unesco Manual for the Teaching of Sciences" is the title.

Is there a scanned pdf version somewhere?  You made me curious!

Thanks!

--
Bastien