[Localization] Euro contributions Re: More translations needed?

Yama Ploskonka yama at netoso.com
Sat Jun 14 11:10:18 EDT 2008

Being an ancien élève of a French school in Bolivia, I always have had a
warm spot for two things related to content / learning coming from France,

1.- emphasis in writing skills, rhetoric from the youngest age.  What we
need here, in my opinion, is tools to learn that from an XO, c'est à
dire independently of an artist-teacher that, even in a French school, I
seldom was blessed with.
I do not know how to go about it, but would want to discuss this with
people who feel this makes some sense. (or even with those who
disagree... :-))  This connects very, very well with the work happening
right now regarding Moodle, so the techies set up the tools, and you
Euro guys maybe come with the fine-tuning of the handling of the tools,
and somehow we localize the whole caboodle.

2.- teaching of science and technology as an active thing.  Here the
goal is more complex, for not only should this be coming built-in the XO
or server or something kids can access to, but also would involve
manipulating materials and objects that have to be a) accessible
anywhere (Haiti would be a good comparison point here :-()  b)safe and
not need expert help from a teacher who might have little skills in
making things happen.
Much European experience came from the early days after WW2 when Unesco
published there a wonderful book about how to do Science education
basically when you have been bombed out of everything you thought you
needed to make Science, a later edition of which, now torn and in
pieces, still is in my #1 box-to-take when and if I move to somewhere.
"Unesco Manual for the Teaching of Sciences" is the title.

I see these as areas where French expertise is beyond anything I have
seen elsewhere - which might have more to do with my lack of experience
about other parts of the world, though I do recall good science hands-on
stuff in USRR.   I have little knowledge about Germany (great Trans-Tel
Science videos, when growing up), Scandinavia, Central Europe (great
books, well designed for kids by Czech people, but not aware of their
educational methods/materials), etc., so I don't want to discard anyone
just because I may be ignorant.  Could you copy/edit this to lists you
see fit?

Yama