[Localization] Euro contributions Re: More translations needed?

s.boutayeb at free.fr s.boutayeb at free.fr
Sat Jun 14 22:05:00 EDT 2008

Quoting Bastien <bzg at altern.org>:

> As a sidenote - there will be a specific translation problem: if « La
> main à la pâte » decides it can help OLPC by providing content, how this
> content will be translated (e.g. in Kreyol)?  Using something like
> Pootle or any .po-related solution looks awkward to me...
>
> If people have ideas, I'd be glad to hear.

My suggestion here is to adapt the content to the respective situation rather
than to stick to a litteral translation.

The technical side of the translation issue can be handled via an collaborative
solution like Pootle, provided the texts are accordingly preformated.

An alternative could be to use a so called "CAT tool" (or computer assisted
translations tools) such as OmegaT. OmegaT is an open-source translation memory
software application.

Source "OmegaT, the free translation memory tool": http://www. omegat.org

The main features are ( http://www.omegat.org/en/omegat.html ) :

   1. Fuzzy matching
   2. Match propagation
   3. Simultaneous processing of multiple-file projects
   4. Simultaneous use of multiple translation memories
   5. External glossaries
   6. Document file formats: XHTML and HTML, Microsoft Office 2007 XML,
OpenOffice.org/StarOffice, XLIFF (Okapi), MediaWiki (Wikipedia), Plain text, PO
files
   7. Unicode (UTF-8) support: can be used with non-Latin alphabets
   8. Support for right-to-left languages
   9. Compatible with other translation memory applications (TMX)

Best regards,

Samy