[Localization] [X-Posted] We need your help

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 19:18:50 EDT 2008

Hello everyone,

This week's Tech Team report[1] has a section called "Production"
which has information on what we can see in OLPC-land in the near
future, in terms of deployment. So, from that data, we are currently
looking at the following languages/countries:

Rwanda: French
Ethiopia: Amharic
Haiti: Kreyole
Peru/Uruguay: Spanish
Cambodia: Khmer
Afghanistan: Dari/Pashto
Russia: Russian
Nigeria: English
Turkey: Turkish
Brazil: Brazilian Portuguese

One of the biggest challenges that we face now is ensuring that each
of these languages are available in our software (Sugar), since it is
of prime importance that kids get to interact with the software in a
language they are familiar and comfortable with.
Of these, support for some languages are in quite a good shape
(Spanish, French, etc), while others like Amharic, Turkish, Russian
need a lot of help. If you happen to know a second language, this is
your chance to become heroes for a lot of children out there[2].
We need more and more translators pitching in to help us, and
translation is perhaps one of the easiest way to get involved in the
OLPC community, as well as the Free/Open Source Software community.

Even if you can translate ten strings a day, your efforts will enable
thousands of kids to receive a vastly improved education in their own
language. A guide on how to get started with the translation is
available at https://dev.laptop.org/~sayamindu/pootleforxo2.pdf, and
you can always contact me (sayamindu at gmail.com) in case you need any
kind of support.

Thank you,