[Localization] How to merge Spanish translations

Korakurider korakurider at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 00:29:21 EDT 2008

Hi,
On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 6:15 AM, Yoshiki Ohshima <yoshiki at vpri.org> wrote:
> Bert told us that there is an old style .translation file
> for Spanish.  We can convert it to .po file, but not sure again if we
> should merge them to the site, as it might wipe out newly translated
> phrases.  Does anybody has good ideas how to proceed?

I would suggest NOT to upload new po directly.

You could do offline compare among several POs by poconflicts tool of
translation toolkit
(http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/toolkit/poconflicts).
After cherrypicking good ones and merging them to master po by
off-line hand edit,
you could upload the po to Pootle or repo.

I have looked into this:
+++++ from here +++++++++++++
HOW TO REVIEW CONFLICTS

(1) Prepare LinEx image
  + grab the image
(http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/etoys/2008-May/002361.html)
  + update it to the latest version of etoys 3.0.

(2) Extract PO of LinEx by the extractor of OLPC Etoys
  + switch language to Spanish
  + evalute this:
      GetTextExporter2 new exportTranslator: (InternalTranslator
newLocaleID: LocaleID current).

     Then es.po is created under po/etoys.
     Note additional packages like DrGeo/ZOODT have been installed
into the image
     and the po contains translatable phrases also for them.
     If you want to exclude them, evaluate this before export:

        TextDomainManager registerCategoryPrefix: 'Classroom' domain:
'Classroom'.
        TextDomainManager registerCategoryPrefix: 'Connectors-FSM'
domain: 'Connectors-FSM'.
        TextDomainManager registerCategoryPrefix: 'DrGeoII' domain:  'DrGeo'.
        TextDomainManager registerCategoryPrefix: 'Logics''s Gate'
domain: 'LogcisGate'.
        TextDomainManager registerCategoryPrefix:
'Morphic-Basic-NewCurve' domain: 'MorphNewCurve'.
        TextDomainManager registerCategoryPrefix:
'Morphic-Games-Atomic' domain: 'MorphGameA'.
        TextDomainManager registerCategoryPrefix:
'Morphic-Games-Imported' domain: 'MorphGameI'.
        TextDomainManager registerCategoryPrefix: 'OpenOffice' domain:
'OpenOffice'.
        TextDomainManager registerCategoryPrefix: 'Skelton' domain: 'Skelton'.
        TextDomainManager registerCategoryPrefix: 'Speech' domain: 'Speech'.
        TextDomainManager registerCategoryPrefix: 'SuperPartBin'
domain: 'SPartBin'.
        TextDomainManager registerCategoryPrefix: 'Tuzitala' domain: 'Tusitala'.
        TextDomainManager registerCategoryPrefix: 'ZOO' domain: 'ZOO'.

    (I only checked difference of package among them and might miss
other changes.
    And ofcourse you could configure other setting for translation domain)

(3) Compare POs with poconflicts
   + download latest PO from pootle
(https://dev.laptop.org/translate/es/etoys/etoys.po)
   + place both po into some folder (say "po")
   + execute:    poconflicts po conflicts

------ to here --------------------

This results 105 conflicts (attached) of 4405 phrases.
This might be still too many to review in given period to finish, but
could be possible.
If folks working on Spanish could form translation team and review and
merge them
(and unify them if possible), it would be really great !

Actually LinEx's translation dictioinary have >6000 phrases.
>2000 phrases don't match to the latest POT of OLPC Etoys.
I am reviewing them right now.  Those include:
  a) phrases for additional packages installed in LinEx image:
      ----> we could write fix (i.e. bunch of #translatedNoop) to
LinEx or the packages
            to extract POTs if it could help someone.

  b) phrases we are still missing in OLPC Etoys image.
      ----> I will fill ticket and propose fix.

  c) obsoleted strings; I couldn't find it in source code of the image.
      ----> we could throw away :-)

Then all of phrases in the image (excluding obsolete ones) could be migrated
without any loss of the effort by LinEx folks...

Cheers,
/Korakurider