[Localization] Fwd: Arabic Projects

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 16:27:48 EDT 2008

sorry, meant this to go to the list

cjl
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 12:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Localization] Arabic Projects
To: Nicholas Bodley <nbodley at speakeasy.net>

 On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Nicholas Bodley <nbodley at speakeasy.net>wrote:

> That's very good news! I hope I wasn't cluttering up the l10n list.
> I do remember seeing Pango mentioned; now I have a much better idea of what
> it does.
>
> Somehow, I don't quite know what to think about Sugar running on Windows,
> where
> it would use Uniscribe, more than likely.
>
> >We have few RTL issues in the interface that can be attributed largely
> >to the lack of proper RTL handling in HippoCanvas.
> >
> >Regards,
> > Khaled

No worries Nicholas, mailing lists are meant for such thoughtful
disucssions, I think your post was entirely appropriate and I'm even happier
that there seems to be a good answer to some of the legitimate concerns you
raised.

I just wanted to point out to the list that it seems that the
Sugar developers are aware of *some* RTL and Arabic bugs (thanks in great
part to Khaled), and it is important to note that they are also aware that
they just don't know what bugs are yet to be found because there has been
relatively little RTL testing (compared to LTR scripts and langiages from
the larger deployments).  I have seen RTL support raised in recent devel
meetings on IRC and it is a matter that they know needs attention (although
it may have to wait a few weeks until after the crunch to get the 8.2
release out).

To keep on top of the whole matter there is a master ticket that tracks all
of the individual tickets that are currently known on RTL / Arabic.  It is
quite a long list, but they would certainly welcome more testing.  It has
always amused me that coders are so very arppreciative when you go to them
and can explain clearly and politely to them how their work is broken
:-)  Reproducible bug reports are the only way to improve the code, I'm sure
they would welcome more examination of the bugs currently reported and
addition of more as they are discovered.

http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/6808

I am just guessing here (and in an odd way arguing in favor of Walter's
earlier point although it may not sound like it), but I would think it would
be very helpful to have a substantial set of strings translated so that
testing of RTL issues can be pushed even further.  Obviously, it can
be challenging to test RTL text handling behaviour if you don't have enough
RTL strings.  Keep up the good work.