[OLPC-GSoC] Number of SoC projects requested by OLPC

Jameson "Chema" Quinn jquinn at cs.oberlin.edu
Sat Apr 19 08:25:49 EDT 2008

A warning:

I know we're all anxious to know how many slots OLPC will get. But just note
the following message from Google Summer of Code
Discuss<http://groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-discuss?hl=en>:

"Mentors: To tell anyone they are accepted until they have been marked
as ssuch on the webapp, before the appointed day, is one of the sure
ways to make your organization -not- be invited back in subsequent
years and to see your allocations reduced to 0."

I assume that also goes for any other promise they can't keep, like "we are
guaranteed to get at least 8 slots this year." It's understandable, since
Google will end up taking some of the blame for any broken promises.

So, we can ask for vaguely-worded encouragement or bad news, but until
Monday, we should not even ask for anything definite.

Shameless <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Bityi/GSoC>ly y'rs,
Jameson <http://groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-discuss?hl=en>