Longer XO transformer power cord in the plans?

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Sun May 31 00:23:37 EDT 2009

We are considering changing from a "wall wart"
design to an "inline design", for the following reasons:

A - The difficulty in supporting "new" countries, when each
new plug design requires new tooling.   With an inline
design, only the plug at the end of the AC cable has to
change.

B - The "wall wart" design limits the weight of the adapter.

C - A blow to the adapter when it is plugged in frequently
snaps the pins off of the wall wart.   I've seen a number
of "repaired" units that make me worry for the kids safety.

D - It can be difficult to find power strips with the right plug
orientation to accept multiple adapters of our current design.

Right now, we have a 1.5m cable on the wall wart.
I'm thnking about specifying a 0.8m  (outlet to floor) AC cable
and a 1.2m (floor to table) DC cable.   Shorter would be
cheaper, but might result in "dangling" adapters, something to
be avoided.

Quozl's comments are valid.   Not every child needs a
longer cable, and the cabling is a significant part of the cost
of the adapter.

I am still getting quotes to see how this change might
impact the adapter cost, and getting the industrial designers
to think about it.

Comments ?  Suggestions ?
wad