Greg Smith's Weekly Report

rihoward1 at gmail.com rihoward1 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 13:53:33 EDT 2008

On Sep 6, 2008, at 8:40 AM, Gary C Martin wrote:

> On 6 Sep 2008, at 06:12, rihoward1 at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Greg,
>>
>> Thanks for fixing http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities/Joyride and
>> make it reference the correct version of
>> Develop.  Tested it and software updater now downloads Develop V35.
>> Now maybe people can start looking for valid bugs and give the
>> developer useful feedback.
>> Develop launches nicely in 8.2-759.
>>
>> I went ahead and updated the reference to Colors! to Colors! V4 and
>> software updater successfully downloaded that it.
>
> I notice that the .xo bundle for Colors linked from http://
> wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities is still going to v3 even though v4
> is listed on Colors own wiki page. Was just testing on the 759
> stream and noticed it didn't pick-up the new version of Color (or
> Develop-35 for that matter) as the Control Panel (obviously)
> doesn't use the Activities/Joyride information.

The Software Update control has a "Modify activity groups" in the
lower left. This control is revealed once the Refresh of software
update completes.  Click on this and the Group URL field is release.
You can add or subtract groups here by supplying the URL.
I discovered that the Group URLs are stored in the hidden file /home/
olpc/Activities/.groups
Next time I perform an update from 656 I will have to remember to
delete .groups and see what it gets populated with.

> Installed both new versions manually using Browse (note that Colors
> doesn't respond to the stop icon in its activity tool bar, but you
> can use the keyboard shortcut alt-esc to get out).
How do we get the component "activity-Colors!" added to track?

>> The architecture of the wiki activity group pages is interesting to
>> say the list.
>

> Yea, I was hoping the whispers of semantic wiki stuff was going to
> help keep all the various wiki references in sync. Perhaps it's
> implementation is still incomplete? Any information on what the
> semantic wiki plan is/was all about? Seems to have been some black
> ops project inside OLPC with no public documentation (that I've
> stumbled over yet). I noticed a few weeks back that my activity
> page had turned into some monster Q&A template page if I now try
> and edit it...

Yes curious mind are awaiting...Does any one know if it is possible
to have field level help for the form pages?
.