semantic black ops for Activities? (Re: Greg Smith's Weekly Report)

S Page info at skierpage.com
Sat Sep 13 22:10:31 EDT 2008

to http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Talk:Semantic_MediaWiki#Activities )

A while ago Gary C Martin wrote:
> Any information on what the semantic wiki plan is/was all about?

I never heard of any master plan, however people should note wiki pages
that could or do use semantic annotations at
<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Semantic_MediaWiki>. The SMW extension is
basically annotating information in wiki pages so you can browse, query,
and reuse it; a bit like categorizing pages on steroids.  Also someone
installed the Semantic Forms extension which builds on SMW so you can
edit certain page data in a form.

> Seems to have been some black ops project
> inside OLPC with no public documentation

Dick Cheney denied this secret "black ops" project run outside of normal
channels, so it must exist!

> I noticed a few weeks back that my activity page had turned into some
> monster Q&A template page if I now try and edit it...

I haven't worked on the activity templates and forms.  I
think user:Xavi added the OBX templates to activity pages
a while back; recently user:Femslade added Activity_page and
Activity_bundle templates that annotate similar info, and you can edit
them in a form.  I don't know if anything reuses info like
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Property:Activity_version

Greg Smith asked me:
> If we can edit activities page safely do you feel up to making some
> edits there... Maybe propose something on devel then we can approve and
> execute. Let me know if what we are looking for there is not clear.

Sorry, I have no idea what people are looking for (Cheney keeps us all
on a need-to-know basis, damn these freedom-destroying wikis with no
congressional oversight!). My proposal would just be guesses, e.g.:
* Unify the OBX templates and the semantic properties?
* Unify the Creating_an_activity page and the new Form:Activity?
* Automatically generate tables of activities?
** Replace (outdated?) Bundled/Core/Extra distinctions with a property?
** Display activity and versions compatible with a particular build?
* Generate the Activity_microformat data for the pages that Software
update parses (scary...)?

Y'all can reply here, or edit
<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Talk:Semantic_MediaWiki#Activities>, or some
other talk page in the wiki.