Licensing for One Laptop Per Child

ffm ffm246 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 19:13:33 EST 2008

On Feb 5, 2008 7:10 PM, Asheesh Laroia <asheesh at creativecommons.org> wrote:

> >> Unless there's a Linux port I don't know about, this might be hard to
> >> work out...
> >
> > We can always use Wine, no?
>
> As if Chessmaster is the only chess program in the world....

You're right, it isnt. However, it is a *Good Thing* (TM) when closed source
apps from closed source corpos are released as OSS, both for the corpo, us,
and OSS in general, it attracts more attention and sends out a "Hey, maybe
this OS stuff isn't that bad" to other corpos.

> Don't get me wrong - it's a nice gesture.  I just imagine that activity
> developers would choose to wrap an existing Free Software, GNU/Linux chess
> program before they get around to packaging up Chessmaster.

Yet _more_ GPL'd software is better.

-FFM