[Bookreader] Book reader and eBook distribution/hosting service

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 15:53:36 EST 2010

Hi Sayamindu, Mike,

Sean Daly forwarded this thread to me - as I'm not on the bookreader
list. It is a definitely interesting topic. I would like to make it
really easy for deployments to load up ebooks in all the possible
supported formats on the XS, and have the XOs browse/read/download
them trivially.

What's the best approach for this?

 - What does Read.xo support already, or what support can be added easily?

 - What minimum-common-denominator have we got in terms of metadata,
if the XS is going to try to parse the ebooks and offer a
browsable/searchable UI?

 - Should we have the option of loading the ebooks into the XS in a
meta-format (zipfile bundle with metadata, and perhaps various
versions of the same book)?

In terms of building (or including) a "book metadata search / browse"
facility, this is something I clearly want to have, and something like
OPDS might be useful there. Note that I do have fairly complex
requirements for such software to land on the XS -- see this thread
for an example of a possible implementation:
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/server-devel/2009-November/004303.html

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions