[Bookreader] Book reader and eBook distribution/hosting service

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 06:11:10 EST 2010

Hello,

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 5:18 AM, Mike DeVine <pixelshredder at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, this is Mike DeVine, I'm a student in RIT's OLPC program. I wanted to let you know I'm working on a project for the XO that will involve hosting a library of eBook-compatible files on RIT's OLPC school server (which we completed work on last semester), in conjunction with a file distribution system that's being worked on by students here, in order to allow students and teachers to browse, download and read eBooks from their XOs.

It may make sense to use OPDS here. OPDS lets you query "bookservers"
for books (using OpenSearch) and browse and retrieve books as well. It
is a draft standard and you can get the latest version at
http://code.google.com/p/openpub/wiki/OPDS. We are already using it at
the client side (check out the Get Books Activity at
http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/get-books), and it would be awesome
to have support for a minimal OPDS server on the Schhol Server itself.
There's a screencast of Get Books in action at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtRvMGEQrI0

> This involves collaborating between several pre-existing projects, and I've been looking for anyone who's worked on Book Reader-related projects for the XO, who may be willing to have their code used with our project. I saw the Book Reader page on the Sugar Labs wiki, and was wondering how far along the project was. Any info I can get would be helpful as I'm still in the research phase of my project.

We currently support most major non-DRM'ed ebook formats (except for
Mobipocket). Is there anything specific in terms of features which you
are looking for ? As for code use, the code is GPL'ed (version 2 or
above), so as long as you stick to the terms and conditions of the GPL
in your project, you can freely use the code or parts of it.

Thanks,
Sayamindu

--
Sayamindu Dasgupta