[Toronto-dev] OLPC-Games : making the XO attractive for a young quebecois

Yves Moisan ymoisan at cooptel.qc.ca
Thu Oct 11 15:35:09 EDT 2007

Hi Michael,

Well, I read your email with great interest too :-).  A couple of points
I'd comment on :
> I had my students do an assignment on the XO
> laptop, basically they had to persuade our students and administration
> to fundraise for the buy one get one free phase. You'd be surprised
> (at least I was) how many of my 'less well motivated' students were
> interested, many said things like 'that's cool' 'I want one', what
> $399? sure, 'I'll have one, send one to a developing country' - it was
> a pleasant surprise.

What grade do you teach ? You'd be surprised how far from the FOSS world
Québec is, IMHO.  I doubt I'd raise the same level of interest here, but
at least I'm trying with the wiki on OpenPlans I referred to in my
original email to the list.  I'm trying more at a local level : if I
could get 5 or 10 people within a couple of kilometers, just enough to
have an operating radio network (sigh).

> My personal interest in the Solomon Islands is that I worked there
> creating a mapping system for the National Population Census from 1998
> to 2000,
My day job is working in geomatics ;-).  I'm very fond of FOSS
technology in mapping, especially on the Python side of things.  I'm
also involved in Zope/Plone (to the extent I'm trying to convince
management to adopt it for our intranet) and the PrimaGIS project (a
Plone product that does mapping in the context of a CMS).
> I've waffled enough, it never occurred to me that the XO could be as
> useful to students in developed countries as they are to students in
> developing countries.

In some FAQ page on the olpc site, I read that a few US states have
approached the OLPC folks so indeed the XO would be as helpful in our
"developed" countries.  I quote the world "developed" because, as I
mentioned in my original email, I don't consider 4 P-II's for 54
students is a ratio one would expect to see in a developed country :-).
> I'll get my thoughts together in a more coherent manner and let you
> know what I think my school/school board could do to contribute to
> this fascinating project

Same here.  Thanx for sharing your thoughts.

Yves