[Testing] [OLPC New Zealand] Auckland Testing Summary 18 June 2011

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Mon Jun 20 10:01:12 EDT 2011

On 19 June 2011 11:37, Tom Parker <tom at carrott.org> wrote:
>> What was the issue here? What happens when you try to create a network?
>
> I couldn't find the tool to create the network -- it used to be in the
> context menu on the network thing in the frame, but there was nothing
> there this time. Since the XO-1.5 had the 1, 6, 11 icons, I'm assuming
> that it doesn't have the "xo-name's network xxxxx" feature anymore,
> where the colour of the xo was encoded at the end of the name and then
> badly parsed.

Yes, that has been intentionally removed as you note. The 1,6,11 icons
are the replacement.

> I'm surprised that ticket hasn't been closed as cannot reproduce then,
> unless it really has been fixed recently on production hardware.

Tickets get forgotten at times, especially those on
bugs.sugarlabs.org, so I wouldn't read too much into that.

> Really?? We've never had any significant luck with collaboration. It
> nearly always fails right at the beginning or with some kind of
> incoherence or complete disconnection after a while. We'll re-test if
> you guys have improved things. Do the improvements fix "everything" or
> are there specific areas or scenarios that you believe now work?

Collaboration has seen a lot of attention for this development cycle,
testing would definitely be appreciated.

However, it is a large and fragile area, so some care and direction
should be taken in testing. Start with automatic power management
disabled, and just focus on one scenario (e.g. school server on
infrastructure network). If you find something reproducibly broken,
try and focus on that rather than overloading us with loads of problem
reports which may or may not have the same root cause. If things are
working, move onto another scenario, or restest the same scenario with
automatic power management.

At this point (due to wireless firmware bugs outside of our control)
we can't reach 100% reliability of collaboration when automatic power
management is enabled. But we can get hopefully quite stable. And with
automatic power management disabled, we should be able to achieve full
stability.

> You're right it's confusing! Why don't you include the "stream" name in
> the about this xo dialog? That is generally where we go to read the
> version number.

Good point. I'll work on that.

Thanks,
Daniel