[Testing] Fwd: 11.2.0 Test cases

Samuel Greenfeld greenfeld at laptop.org
Wed Jan 26 11:15:15 EST 2011

Yes I can update the Wiki; but as you noted yourself this system is kind
of half-designed well.  It's going to require a lot of manual work to go
through all the testcases and update them to say what works and what
does not, and a lot of result and list pages (some of which I don't know
about) may no longer make sense without correction.  I'm also not
certain if a generic semantic-lookup search page is possible.

The 11.2.0 testplan link was me considering going further back and
avoiding the semantic system entirely, as also had been suggested by
someone.  It's also because I saw the 8.2.0 similar page.  From what
little I recall about talking to Fedora QA on this subject it sounded
like they were not the most thrilled with this type of approach.  Has
any other project created a similar test case management system which
scales well within a Wiki?

Not to pick on OLPC in particular, but from my general experience it
seems that those who use Wikis often seem to think that almost
everything can be done within a Wiki; Microsoft SharePoint users tend to
think everything can be done in SharePoint; professional QA staff tend
to like using test case management systems; and project management often
thinks that everything can be done in a spreadsheet.  I've also seen a
lot of "not invented here" logic going on with avoiding already
available solutions, spending lots of development time and employee
costs to roll one's own.

Therefore there may be a bit of everyone always choosing the tool they
are familiar with instead of the one that make sense for the purpose.

I actually have a local TestLink (www.teamst.org) install with rough
testcases for almost all the XO-1.5 level applications and features;
TestLink being chosen because it's what has been suggested for OLPC in
the past. But word from above is not to use it, because I've been told
we do not want to have to spend time to maintain it, and that the Wiki
and spreadsheets should be all I need and shouldn't take more time to use.

In general I imagine this is going to become a very detailed
conversation at FUDcon:Tempe this weekend, as Fedora QA, Sugar, and OLPC
representatives will all be there.  Sugar is going to become part of the
Fedora Desktop QA process, and Fedora is moving to the Redhat-created
and recently publicly released Nitrate
(https://fedorahosted.org/nitrate/) test case management system.

Unfortunately there is no existing public Nitrate system I can point you
at, and my attempt at quickly creating my own instance from their git
tree failed.  I'm trying to slightly hold off on major update work until
I know if we are going to end up in this new system; it makes no sense
in my view for Sugar testcases to be all over the place, so if OLPC can
use Nitrate for everything like they used to use Redhat's bugzilla, that
might be easier for everyone.