[Testing] Fwd: 11.2.0 Test cases

S Page skierpage at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 05:58:49 EST 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 7:23 AM, Holt <holt at laptop.org> wrote:

> I also will be working on revamping, updating, and adding test cases to better test the OLPC builds.  I'm not certain how to do this within the old Wiki markup structure though

Read http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Semantic_MediaWiki#For_tests for some
background.  These are just wiki pages with some data that other pages
can query and display instead of laboriously maintaining redundant
lists.  Imagine if you had a page for each test case with its details,
you'd get fed up copying and pasting text chunks into
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Test_cases/11.2 as well.
This works well for organizing ~150 test cases, but it was bad for
managing thousands of test *results*; however I think Francesca Slade
and M Chua et al. never settled on a better system.

I added 10.1 and 11.2 to the Build stream property so you can view a
test case that applies, click its [Edit with form] tab and check its
11.2 box. I added a query to http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Test_cases/11.2
to show how it would work.  BTW, how does
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/TestPlan_11.2.0 relate to
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Test_cases/11.2 ?
> without potentially breaking records
Don't worry.  AFAIK no one is using the old stuff, and these are just
wiki pages, they don't explode if you change them.  The [Edit with
form] tab that appears for some test cases is pretty cool IMO but you
can ignore it.

> (since the test cases are stale, and newer builds often have different expected behaviors),

If a test case is stale, click its [Edit with form] tab, uncheck "Any"
and if you know what build streams it *did* apply to, check them.

As you probably know, there are other "test case" pages that predate
this system, see
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Test_cases_8.2.0#General_.28older.29_test_cases

>  so I may end up creating a new set of them in the OLPC Wiki.
You can copy existing wiki markup from a test case.  Then I would
rename (using the [Move] tab that appears for some wiki editors) the
obsolete test case to something like Tests/Network/WirelessActivation
(8.2); or just create a new page with a new name.

If you want to ignore all the existing semantic folderol, just put
your test case pages in a subcategory [[Category:Test cases for 11.2]]
and your test plans can link, query, or list this category.

I'm happy to help in any way to impose and extract useful structure
onto and from the wiki, and have no hard feelings if you decide not to
;-)  It's a low-end Swiss Army knife, but sometimes you need a hammer.

--
=S Page