[Testing] Self-test hangs on XO 1.5

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Mon Oct 25 03:38:04 EDT 2010

>> Here's the serial number for my failing XO 1.5:
>> SHC937011C5
>
> Certainly an XO-1.5 B2, and I've two of those, and they are affected by
> the two problems you described.  We won't be fixing them.  But if you
> need your XO-1.5 B2 replaced (e.g. because it won't let you use wireless
> after suspend), talk to Adam.

It is worth trying to improve the contact between the heat spreader and the
processor.   The temporary fix used with C1 units was the addition of two
10mm x 10mm x 2.75mm pieces of relatively stiff (and heat resistant)
self-adhesive foam to the hear spreader directly over the processor and
companion chip.  The solution implemented for production changed the
heat spreader to add another mounting point.

Anytime the heat spreader is removed, the state of the thermal pads
between the proc/companion chip and the spreader should be
checked.  If torn or missing, you can substitute a non-conductive thermal
grease (or a new pad).

If you don't do either of these, the performance of the laptops will be
severely degraded.   You might experience random problems, and the
laptop lifetime will probably be compromised.

Where did you obtain these laptops ?   We absolutely do not recommend
giving pre-production versions to kids...

Regards,
John