[Testing] Self-test hangs on XO 1.5

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Oct 25 03:11:29 EDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 11:50:50PM -0700, Cherry Withers wrote:
> Thanks Mitch and James! It's been a WHILE since I ran the self-test
> diagnostics and that was when I had an XO 1.0. A lot has changed since
> then. I just noticed the graphical test option. Is that new or maybe I
> just didn't notice it when I did my first run of self-test.

I'm not sure when "menu" was added, but it wasn't always there.

> I did expect more info than I needed except for the lid switch test. I
> was utterly confused at first until my brain finally started
> functioning and put "lid" and "switch" together. The message didn't
> imply that I had to do something! :-D

Given that it is a test for a technical audience, I don't think it is
worth changing this.

> I have a preproduction units but will be supporting a 100-pilot
> deployment in the Philippines (XO 1.5s production units). They needed
> a quick set-up and test guide.

I recommend you avoid directing them at the firmware self-test features
unless they experience a problem with getting Sugar started.

> Here's the serial number for my failing XO 1.5:
> SHC937011C5

Certainly an XO-1.5 B2, and I've two of those, and they are affected by
the two problems you described.  We won't be fixing them.  But if you
need your XO-1.5 B2 replaced (e.g. because it won't let you use wireless
after suspend), talk to Adam.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/