[Testing] Cannot get the OK prompt using Esc

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Mar 25 19:35:47 EDT 2010

Adam and Mikus have given useful replies, please read them.

However, I did notice a small mistake in your procedure:

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 07:23:02AM -0400, Dhanushka Nuwan wrote:
>    We tried to install OS for OLPCs using game keys.
> ( The exact procedure is mentioned in the following link http://wiki.laptop.org
> /go/Clean-install_procedure)
> But, we could not follow that method, because it gives an error  Boot Failed .

The page you refer to has two separate procedures, depending on whether
you are installing an official release or a development build.

os11 and os802b5 are both development builds.

If you had followed the first procedure, then the result would have been
"Boot Failed", because the USB stick would not have contained an fs.zip
file corresponding to the build.  This is expected.

If you had followed the second procedure, then in step 6 you were asked
to "power up while holding the escape key", not the game keys.

Given that you mentioned game keys, you were following the wrong
procedure.

If you had followed the correct second procedure, then in step 7 you
should have failed to observe the "ok" prompt.

Please, when you are following written procedures, refer to the item in the
procedure that fails to meet your expectation, so that we can most
quickly comprehend the problem.  It makes it difficult for us if you
just say "it didn't work when I did this procedure".

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/