[Testing] Cannot get the OK prompt using Esc

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Thu Mar 25 09:49:47 EDT 2010

The following comments are based on my own experience:

--------
> Then when I tried to install OS11 and OS802B5 for a different XO1.0 machine
> with the developer key, I didn’t get the OK prompt using Esc. Can you please
> give me a solution??

Unless an XO-1 is already marked 'disable-security', it NEEDS a
developer key present in order to get to the OK prompt using Esc.

Where does the XO-1 see that developer key?  -- in a folder called
"security" (and that folder must exist at the highest level of the
filesystem).  Meaning the XO-1 itself must already have the internal
file /security/develop.sig, or else an external device (e.g., USB stick)
must have been plugged in at the XO-1 before pressing power-on, and that
external device must have the file /security/develop.sig on it.  [Note
that most often each develop.sig file is *specific* to a particular XO.]

You are most likely getting the "Boot Failed" message because the XO-1
is not seeing the /security/develop.sig file it expects.

--------
> “USBs are not working with OS802B5.IMG”

What matters is the *content* of the USB.  In certain situations, data
on the USB is accessed _without_ first booting the build that has been
previously installed on that XO.  For example, one can do 'copy-nand' at
the OK prompt to install a build onto the XO-1 from the USB stick.  The
wiki has scattered information about commands that can be typed at the
OK prompt to determine whether the USB stick is being recognized.  The
command I use most often at the OK prompt is  dir u:\

There are other situations in which data on the USB is accessed _from_ a
booted build.  For example, with 8.2.x on the XO-1 it is possible to run
 olpc-update  using data from an USB stick (if that USB stick has the
right *content*).  The command I use most often from within a running
build, to see if an USB stick can be accessed, is  df   That command
will list the device_name used by the build with that USB stick, and the
mount_point whereby the filesystem on that USB stick can be accessed.

When you say "not working" - you have left out two important pieces of
information:

  First of all - "What are you trying to do?"   Installing a new build
is completely different from trying to add some new Activities.  You've
used the word "update" -- but that single word was not enough to tell us
exactly what you were trying to update, nor _how_.

  Second - "What do you think the USB contains?"  As I emphasized, what
(and _how_) can be done with the USB stick depends on what is on that
USB stick.  You need to tell us (perhaps including how the content on
that USB stick got put there).

Wishing you success,  mikus