[Testing] a random focus group testing

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 4 21:28:39 EDT 2010

Hi James,

Thanks for the feedback :)

On 5 Jul 2010, at 01:58, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> G'day,
>
> A nearby outback family visited me.  The kids played on the XO-1.5's
> with os205 ... and I asked them to tell me anything that goes wrong.
>
> 1.  male, age 5,
>
> - caused Speak text entry widget to display history as a result of an
>  accidental click, the history took up the entire screen, but child
>  could not figure out how to get out of the history, typing text did
>  nothing ... escape key did it, or click on the widget input area,
>
> - lost in Turtle Art, could not find stop button, ... needed to switch
>  tabs first,

Design changes fixes this in Sugar 0.86 and above (new toolbar design always show a Stop button).

> - InfoSlicer, not clear how to proceed, not age appropriate, needed
>  again to be shown how to use Stop,

Yea I find the InfoSlicer UI daunting also ;) Just had a quick look at the source code, doesn't look like new toolbar support is in there yet to resolve the "can't find Stop" case.

> - TamTamMini, was able to generate excessive audio to cause crackling in
>  speakers.
>
> 2.  female, age 7-8,
>
> - could not exit the Scratch activity, no stop button, ... needed to be
>  shown how to use File/Quit,

I think the very latest Scratch does finally support the Journal, but I don't think the UI has changed to include a Sugar toolbar and Stop.

> - Speak in robot interactive mode, stopped responding to input, "8" was
>  the input, ... needed to be shown how to move on and type something
>  else,
>
> - Speak, wanted to make it sound like a girl but could not figure out
>  how.
>
> 3.  male, age 10,
>
> - convinced Speak in robot mode to continuously utter speech, but we've
>  no idea how he did it.

Speak sure does seem to be something they tried often, it's that friendly icon I'm sure :)

Regards,
--Gary