[Testing] organizing test cases (was "Are these wiki pages old/depreciated?")

Joseph A. Feinstein joe at laptop.org
Mon Nov 17 00:06:47 EST 2008

At 07:56 PM 11/16/2008, S Page wrote:

>Unfortunately we can't just use 1, as MediaWiki won't show you
>subpages and Semantic MediaWiki can't query for subpages.  It might
>be possible to scrap 3 and just use subcategories, but Semantic
>Forms doesn't make it easy.
>
>( We have the atomic screwdriver, ACME Rocket Sled, and Babelfish,
>yet the tools still don't do what we want  8-/  )
----------
Exactly! For that reason I initially suggested to just use a simple
form for a test case (based on my many-many-years experience), but
the "implementation team" (Charlie and other interns) wanted to go
the "fancy" way.

The original form can still be found in the bottom of
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Testing (see the section "An old test case
format"). Using that approach, test cases can be even originally
written outside of wiki (in MS Word, etc.), and then simply copied
into the wiki. At the time when I experimented with that, SJ advised
me how to use new wiki features to make the process efficient and simple.

The "fancy" approach prevailed and has been used since to create OLPC
test team's test cases. But the "Community testing team" may, if it
so desires, try using my original approach and see the benefits (drawbacks?).

Any ideas?

Joe