[Testing] organizing test cases (was "Are these wiki pages old/depreciated?")

S Page info at skierpage.com
Sun Nov 16 19:56:31 EST 2008

Gary C Martin wrote:

> 	http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Tests/Activity/Chat
> ...which auto pulls in any other Chat test cases (there happen to be
> two others) into that single page:
>
> Think it's very useful for testers to hit one known location [[Tests/
> Activity/Chat]] and see all the cases they may want to run through.

Yes you could put a similar query in pages in the "path" to other test
cases.  Maybe you could make it a generic query using MediaWiki
{{#expr:}} magic to get the system component from the end of the path in
the title.   BUT:

* It's not very discoverable.  (I'm not sure why the breadcrumb at the
top of http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Tests/Activity/Chat/Private_chat shows
just    < Tests  and not    < Tests < Activity < Chat .)
* In general, more pages means more confusion.

Instead as Joe suggested, just browse [[:Category:Test cases]] to find
test cases.  You can also browse
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Property:Test_category and
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Test_cases_8.2.0 which also organize test cases.

There are three overlapping ways to organize test cases:
1. Subpages in the title, such as Tests / Activity / Chat / Private_chat
2. Subcategories of Category:Test cases
3. Property:Test category and Property:Test subcategory (these are
actually not MediaWiki categories)

Unfortunately we can't just use 1, as MediaWiki won't show you subpages
and Semantic MediaWiki can't query for subpages.  It might be possible
to scrap 3 and just use subcategories, but Semantic Forms doesn't make
it easy.

( We have the atomic screwdriver, ACME Rocket Sled, and Babelfish, yet
the tools still don't do what we want  8-/  )

--
=S Page