[sugar] notes on 8.2.0, specifically 767 (was 8.2.1)

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 10:07:44 EST 2008

Hi Bryan,

I think you have some movement on some of these. I added some more
comments below.

 > * Why is 767 noticeably slower than 703?
GS - We believe that its "faster" than 703 but its hard to prove.
Activity launch time is one variable. Since we put up an image now, that
may seem slower but hopefully the time from click on activity icon to
enter data in activity is lower in 767. Let me know if that is your
metric or in general what makes it feel slower for you?

 > * 767 won't connect via WEP to an AP
GS - Should be possible. Which AP do you have? I think you have
documented your stuff so RTFM to your web site works.

Dan, Are you out there? If Bryan gets the AP info and config details,
can you buy one and try to reproduce/debug his issue?

I know you're not on the clock anymore but I hope I can still reach out
across "the pond" instead of across the desk to get your help...

 > * 767 seems to enforce rainbow more strictly than 703. This has given
 > me major headaches when trying to make our new flash-based activities
 > run properly on 767.
GS - I think you submitted the details. Did you get an answer? I believe
that Michael is out for Thanksgiving.

Can someone comment on this point?
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/sugar/2008-November/010070.html

Bryan, if you can't wait until next week, just keep poking the list
until you get an answer. If you can wait, poke again on Mondaty anyway :-)

 > * 767 can't connect to ejabberd on XS 0.4 because they use incompatible
 > versions of GNU TLS.

GS - Can you ask this on the server list too? How do you know they
"can't connect". Unless Martin et al recognize this right away you
probably need to explain exactly what you did and how it failed.

 > * Firefox 2 and 3 are only slightly sugarized.
GS - True. It is what it is and no plans to make big changes here AFAIK.

 > * It is still a pain to open access a pdf from browse and wait for the
 > Read activity to load it, a real pain.

GS - I think Sayamindu commented on this. If its not a satisfactory
answer let us know.

HTHs.

Thanks,

Greg S