[sugar] notes on 8.2.1, specifically 767

Bryan Berry bryan.berry at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 04:20:43 EST 2008

On Sat, 2008-11-22 at 14:44 +0530, Sayamindu Dasgupta wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Bryan Berry <bryan.berry at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The Nepal deployment team has spent much of the last two weeks testing
> > 767 for a deployment tomorrow. Presently our two pilot schools all use
> > build 703.
> >
> > On the whole, I am quite happy w/ 767 esp. the GUI changes.
> >
> > my comments may be redundant because I fail to keep up w/ developments
> > of the Sugar mailing list.
> >
> > Some issues that keep coming up:
> >
> > * Why is 767 noticeably slower than 703?
> > * 767 won't connect via WEP to an AP
> > * 767 seems to enforce rainbow more strictly than 703. This has given me
> > major headaches when trying to make our new flash-based activities run
> > properly on 767.
>
> Could you provide some details on the rainbow related issues you are facing ?

I had to copy the .macromedia/ and .mozilla/ folders to the
$SUGAR_ACTIVITY_ROOT/data in my activity's launch script

in launch.sh:

if [ ! -d $SUGAR_ACTIVITY_ROOT/data/.mozilla ] ; then
   cp -r ./.mozilla ./.adobe ./.macromedia $SUGAR_ACTIVITY_ROOT/data
else
   echo "$SUGAR_ACTIVITY_ROOT/data/.mozilla exists, nothing to do."
fi

exec ./firefox-activity.py -u ./activity/Activity/MenuStage.html

This would likely be easy for a real programmer but I found it quite
difficult. Thanks to bertf for helping me w/ this.

> > * 767 can't connect to ejabberd on XS 0.4 because they use incompatible
> > versions of GNU TLS.
> > * Firefox 2 and 3 are only slightly sugarized.
> > * It is still a pain to open access a pdf from browse and wait for the
> > Read activity to load it, a real pain.
> >

> I agree that it sucks, and I had done some work to enable PDF viewing
> from within Browse: check out
> http://dev.laptop.org/~sayamindu/pdf_embed/Screenshot.png
>
> To make it work, install the RPMs in
> http://dev.laptop.org/~sayamindu/pdf_embed/ and copy the uncompressed