[sugar] notes on 8.2.1, specifically 767

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 04:14:59 EST 2008

Hello,

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Bryan Berry <bryan.berry at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Nepal deployment team has spent much of the last two weeks testing
> 767 for a deployment tomorrow. Presently our two pilot schools all use
> build 703.
>
> On the whole, I am quite happy w/ 767 esp. the GUI changes.
>
> my comments may be redundant because I fail to keep up w/ developments
> of the Sugar mailing list.
>
> Some issues that keep coming up:
>
> * Why is 767 noticeably slower than 703?
> * 767 won't connect via WEP to an AP
> * 767 seems to enforce rainbow more strictly than 703. This has given me
> major headaches when trying to make our new flash-based activities run
> properly on 767.

Could you provide some details on the rainbow related issues you are facing ?

> * 767 can't connect to ejabberd on XS 0.4 because they use incompatible
> versions of GNU TLS.
> * Firefox 2 and 3 are only slightly sugarized.
> * It is still a pain to open access a pdf from browse and wait for the
> Read activity to load it, a real pain.

I agree that it sucks, and I had done some work to enable PDF viewing
from within Browse: check out
http://dev.laptop.org/~sayamindu/pdf_embed/Screenshot.png

To make it work, install the RPMs in
http://dev.laptop.org/~sayamindu/pdf_embed/ and copy the uncompressed