[sugar] notes on 8.2.1, specifically 767

Bryan Berry bryan.berry at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 03:53:05 EST 2008

The Nepal deployment team has spent much of the last two weeks testing
767 for a deployment tomorrow. Presently our two pilot schools all use
build 703.

On the whole, I am quite happy w/ 767 esp. the GUI changes.

my comments may be redundant because I fail to keep up w/ developments
of the Sugar mailing list.

Some issues that keep coming up:

* Why is 767 noticeably slower than 703?
* 767 won't connect via WEP to an AP
* 767 seems to enforce rainbow more strictly than 703. This has given me
major headaches when trying to make our new flash-based activities run
properly on 767.
* 767 can't connect to ejabberd on XS 0.4 because they use incompatible
versions of GNU TLS.
* Firefox 2 and 3 are only slightly sugarized.
* It is still a pain to open access a pdf from browse and wait for the
Read activity to load it, a real pain.

I find getting 767 ready for a deployment is somewhat more difficult
than I did for 703. That doesn't necessarily mean that Rainbow isn't
worth the extra effort. I haven't made up my mind on that.

This should be of concern because Nepal has one of the more technically
sophisticated deployment teams. If we're having a tough time, countries
w/ less technical staffing will have it much tougher.

These are not criticisms from an outsider but someone who considers
himself part of your ranks. There is still much work to do.

I have more notes but I have a deployment tomorrow and there is still
much testing to do.

--
Bryan W. Berry
Technology Director