[sugar] Sugar unusable as an e-book reader

Luke Faraone luke at laptop.org
Thu Nov 20 22:00:15 EST 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 18:24, Greg Smith <gregsmitholpc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Any opinions? Is it fatally broken or does it just needs some tweaking
> to make it more usable?

I use my XO to read books all the time, I just don't use sugar...

In my experience, the best "format" to use is plain old UTF-8 text and vim.

The current major blockers for me with using... say... Browse as a
HTML-ebook-reader is the ease of access to the "end" button when in book
mode; one false press and you've skipped to the end of a document, not to
mention the fact that you cannot save your place. Other than that, it works
well for simple (non-AJAXY) books.

And PDF rendering, on 8.2.0 at least, is too slow in my opinion for
book-reading.

-lf