[sugar] Sugar unusable as an e-book reader

Yamandu Ploskonka yamaplos at bolinux.org
Fri Nov 21 19:31:48 EST 2008

I do use my XO/Sugar for eBook reading also.

Again, it definitely has issues.  I am learning the non-intuitive at
first "go back to spot" of opening through Journal.  I survive sort of
OK when the cursor does weird things because I pressed the mouse button
when in ebook screen display .  I dislike having maybe 5% of the line
ride out off the right margin too often.  I wish I could figure out how
to change the size of the text.  PDF is slow, I agree, and someone is
proposing a flip-the-page look, I wonder what memory/processor footprint
that would take

I have not yet been able to run yet the Python book in the OLPC wiki.

My line is getting old, yes, it would help if activities, software and
hardware were perfect.  That would help us, say, 50%, to rise from 8%
use to 12% use.
Getting the teachers to _use_ our stuff might get us to an order of
magnitude.

Of course I can say whatever, since we have no quantitative baseline... :-)

Sugar as eBook can have MANY formats, it is not broken beyond salvage.
Html, pdf, even plain text in the Write format.

Now, if we could get to a point that it connects somehow to schoolwork...

Say, something that would have a page of text, maybe a picture, and a
text input window, so the kid reads the page and does whatever the
teacher assigns him to do.
If it pulled metadata and sent itself to the teacher, who then received
the homework paunlessly

I will make a mockup and see what y'all can do to make it happen if you
think it makes sense.

Yama

Niños del Uruguay demuestran su trabajo con Etoys "en esa instancia se
dio la paradoja de ver a los niños enseñando a los adultos, que había
participado de un taller de Etoys ese mismo día" cortesía de Fernando da
Rosa.  Children of Uruguay demonstrate Etoys.
http://www.fedaro.info/materiales/saltoEtoys.ogg en formato para XO