[sugar] How do I connect to a Jabber server ?

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Tue Aug 5 07:24:38 EDT 2008

On 5 Aug 2008, at 09:46, Morgan Collett wrote:

>> The xochat.org jabber server is the one I seem to reliably attach to
>> for my XO testing, though I'd love to see an official developer
>> jabber
>> server, so as not to pester real G1G1 users with my tests, and so we
>> can 'eat our own dogfood' in a dev environment**. Connecting to a
>> remote jabber server is currently the way to see and share with other
>> remote users*** in the neighborhood.
>>
>> ** perhaps Sugar Labs could run such an environment?
>
> Collabora run a server which is the default setting for jhbuild:
> olpc.collabora.co.uk

That's good to hear re-confirmed, but I've not seen any buddies/
activities shared on olpc.collabora.co.uk for weeks/months. I'd just
assumed your server was always borked by lots of connections, or in
some unstable dev status, so I had switched over to xochat.org which
always seems to respond and have buddies showing.

Using your recent "nc olpc.collabora.co.uk 5222" trick I can now see
olpc.collabora.co.uk is responding with some xml just fine. So, is no
one else using it, or should I do some debugging? Are you running a
dev version of a jabber server that's doing something different?

--Gary