[sugar] How do I connect to a Jabber server ?

Guillaume Desmottes guillaume.desmottes at collabora.co.uk
Tue Aug 5 08:02:56 EDT 2008

Le mardi 05 août 2008 à 12:24 +0100, Gary C Martin a écrit :
> On 5 Aug 2008, at 09:46, Morgan Collett wrote:
>
> >> The xochat.org jabber server is the one I seem to reliably attach to
> >> for my XO testing, though I'd love to see an official developer
> >> jabber
> >> server, so as not to pester real G1G1 users with my tests, and so we
> >> can 'eat our own dogfood' in a dev environment**. Connecting to a
> >> remote jabber server is currently the way to see and share with other
> >> remote users*** in the neighborhood.
> >>
> >> ** perhaps Sugar Labs could run such an environment?
> >
> > Collabora run a server which is the default setting for jhbuild:
> > olpc.collabora.co.uk
>
> That's good to hear re-confirmed, but I've not seen any buddies/
> activities shared on olpc.collabora.co.uk for weeks/months. I'd just
> assumed your server was always borked by lots of connections, or in
> some unstable dev status, so I had switched over to xochat.org which
> always seems to respond and have buddies showing.
>
> Using your recent "nc olpc.collabora.co.uk 5222" trick I can now see
> olpc.collabora.co.uk is responding with some xml just fine. So, is no
> one else using it, or should I do some debugging? Are you running a
> dev version of a jabber server that's doing something different?

olpc.collabora.co.uk was recently reinstalled to a new ejabberd server
in order to test Gadget. The shared roster hack was removed which
improve stability but doesn't automatically display all the connected
buddies anymore. Gadget should solve that, I plan to merge it at the
beginning of the 9.1.0 cycle.

	G.