[sugar] How do I connect to a Jabber server ?

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 04:46:00 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 02:56, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
> On 4 Aug 2008, at 23:40, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
>> My _wish_ is simple:  I want a chance to contact (for Chat, or for
>> collaboration) another XO at a different location.  Basically, for
>> me to initiate that, that other XO's icon needs to be shown in my
>> Neighborhood view.
>>
>> Currently, only icons from the LOCAL mesh to which I am connected
>> will show up in my Neighborhood view.  My question in this topic is:
>> "What do I need to do to have icons from REMOTE locations show up ?"
>
> If gabble fails to get to a named jabber server (set in the control
> panel) it defaults to salute. This may be via an access point (if
> you've attached to one) or via the mesh (if it has no luck with an
> AP). Once it's looking at the mesh it tries each of the 3 slices of
> spectrum available (1, 6 & 11) looking for a school server. If it find
> none it seems to default to go sit on mesh, channel 1, hoping to meet
> another XO there (though it may re-scan occasionally).

Presence Service was designed to run both telepathy connection
managers simultaneously. However, it was confusing to have buddies in
your neighbourhood view who couldn't see each other, and to know which
ones you could collaborate with in one session. So we turn off salut
whenever gabble connects.

salut is usually up first, so it is the default while gabble is
attempting to connect.

> Now the scanning sequence used to be as stated above (previous
> official releases), but in recent joyrides I find my XO immediately
> attaches to my preferred AP and doesn't waist time sniffing the mesh
> (I like this, but 3 kids under a tree may not).

They wouldn't be in range of the AP, or even have a preferred one
configured, so they would get the mesh scanning as usual.

> The xochat.org jabber server is the one I seem to reliably attach to
> for my XO testing, though I'd love to see an official developer jabber
> server, so as not to pester real G1G1 users with my tests, and so we
> can 'eat our own dogfood' in a dev environment**. Connecting to a
> remote jabber server is currently the way to see and share with other
> remote users*** in the neighborhood.
>
> ** perhaps Sugar Labs could run such an environment?

Collabora run a server which is the default setting for jhbuild:
olpc.collabora.co.uk

> *** recently, can even work with non XO jabber clients, though I've
> not been able to test properly yet.
>
> Note: current joyrides past 2241seem to have a broken eth0 networking,
> allegedly the (local) msh0 is still working but I have no way to test
> that side of things with a single XO.

Regards
Morgan