[sugar] New Activity Proposal -- "Your voice on XO"

Joshua Minor j at lux.vu
Mon Apr 7 00:09:07 EDT 2008

I haven't tried to make a new espeak voice either.  It would be great
if there were more female and child voices in addition to the existing
male voices in espeak.  I suggest you give it a try.  If it takes a
lot of ram or cpu time or just a lot of steps for the user, that may
limit the possibilities - or just shape the focus of the project.

Your proposal for making voices easily probably appeals to at least
three groups.  First to educators and developers trying to add new
voices for a particular language or country.  The second group, is
obviously kids who might like to learn about voice synthesis or just
have the thrill of customizing the laptop to have a new voice.  The
final one is the disabled community who would like to use the XO as a
tool to help folks communicate more easily.

I know that the Solomon Island OLPC deployment is interested in
creating voices for the local languages there.  ( http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2008-January/010412.html
  )  You might want to contact them to see what sort of effort they
have made and what parts they found difficult.

I built Speak because there was no gui for espeak on the XO.  It was a
pretty easy thing to make and seems to fill the gap nicely.  The more
people put effort into the underlying synthesis engine and more ways
to access it (like the excellent speechd effort) the more powerful the
system will become.  Adding more voices will be a great way to expand
the appeal of the system.

-josh